Pages

Friday 22 February 2013

Cottage Pie... made the diet way

I love good hearty english food, but I also like to be relatively healthy at the same time.  Cottage pie has always been a favourite in our home.  It's quick and easy to make, and one meal that I can guarantee everyone will eat without moaning. 

It's a great way to get hidden veggies into the kids as well - so in my opinion it's a "double prizes" kind of dish.

My cottage pie is so simple even my 17 year old teenage son can make it.

Mince meat, potatoes, leek and carrots are the mainstays, but then I add whatever is left hanging around in the crisper drawer of the fridge.  Onion, leeks, even courgettes have found their way in.  There is no wrong or right with this one.

To make it healthy: I mix a bit of sweet pototo with normal potatoes for the topping and use a spoonful of creme fraiche instead of butter to mix up the mashed potatoe to a lovely consistency.

The meat I cook using the leanest mince I can find, and drain it well.  Oil is replaced with fry light  and instead of heavy stocks, I use onion gravy with a sprinkle of cinnamon.  Before you say "urgh"  it's a basic in every spagetti bolognaise sauce, so not as odd as it sounds and gives the sauce a lovely sweetness to it's taste.


 
Apres meal.. not alot left.
 
RECIPE
 
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 2 medium carrots, chopped
  • 500g mince the leaner the better
  •  
  • 2 tablespoons tomato purée
  • 300ml onion grave
  • 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
  • dash Worcestershire sauce
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste if you must.  I use cinnamon instead.
  • For the topping:
  • 1kgg, peeled and diced potatoes or potatoe/sweet potatoe mix
  • dollop of creme fraiche instead of butter
  • 4 tablespoons milk
  •  
     
     
    1. 
    Preheat the oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5.
     
     
     
    This blog is as a result of a post on foodies 100. What we need are some good hearty recipes that are healthy too. Our latest competition with our friends at Morphy Richards is calling out for your delicious recipe recommendations that have a healthy twist in conjunction with Morphy Richards.  www.morphyrichards.co.uk
     
    morphy richards intellisteam
     
     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment